Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A note concerning Amaranth (Project: Lodestar 5)

“Are you sure you don’t want a dry change of clothes?” asked Amaranth from the doorway. Her short red hair was all bangs and spikes and her body lithe curves.

Cassandra seemed half drowned and continued to wring water from her hair. “Nah, I’m fine. Just gonna get wet again anyway. I appreciate the coffee though.” She took a sip and almost choked. “Geez, Ama, put a little booze in here?”

Amaranth walked over to the table, moving with grace and swaying limbs, and sat down next to Cassandra. “Don’t question the doctor. I know what’s good for you.” She took a sip from her own cup and continued, “So what brings you to the club at this hour? Can’t get enough of sweet ‘ol Ama is that it?” She smiled easily and put an arm around Cassandra.

“You’ve got me pegged,” came the wry reply. She rolled her eyes and set her cup down on the table. The deep bass beat from the dance floor two floors below caused it to rattle against the saucer. “But it’s not all pleasure.”

“Yeah, I kind of figured as much. You look absolutely ragged. What’s the trouble?”

“It’s big. Like old days big.”

Amaranth looked askance and snorted. “Please. What could possibly have snuck up on us that’s that big? You going to tell me that Ansel’s ghost is coming back to haunt us?” Cassandra said nothing and the frivolity drained from Amaranth’s face. “What? Seriously?”

“Not his ghost exactly, no…”

“Ok, you had me worried for minute there…”

“More like he’s not really dead.”

The only sound in the room was from the ceramic rattle of the cups and the bassy reverberations from down below. Finally, Amaranth spoke, “You’re not fucking with me, are you?”

“Not about this. How could I?”

“Shit. So who knows? What’s going on?”

“Just you and Grey and Arsiel.” It was easier than she thought to omit Gabriel. “I don’t have a lot of information. I’m getting pretty hazy signals. Grey hasn’t been able to confirm anything and is hesitant to act. I’m not sure how helpful he is going to be until things become more certain. Arsiel thinks that we should get ready anyway and that he’d get in touch with Ridley. Who can you reach?”

“Alex and I talk pretty regularly and I meet up with Midori every few months. Used to keep in touch with Dayth too, but as far as I can tell he’s fallen off the face of the planet,” she paused a moment before continuing, “And I know where Gabe is, although we haven’t spoken in a few years.”

Cassandra’s reply is muted, “I wouldn’t worry about Gabriel at this point.” She took a quick, nervous swallow from her cup.

“Oh.” Amaranth considered her friend for a moment, “Oh.” She tapped her nails against the table. “Ok then. So we’re just spreading the word at this point?”

“Yeah. I mean we need to figure stuff out but we don’t have too much information. I’m hoping things will become clearer for me soon, but maybe one of the others has noticed something that’ll make sense in this context that they may have written off as unimportant. Grey may be balking, but I know I’m not wrong.”

“Maybe you just need some rest, hon. You really do look terrible. Maybe if you tried attacking this with a full tank you’d get better results.”

“I know, I know. It just seems so important, like I’m working against a clock.” She rubbed her eyes and stretched in her seat. “Still, telling you seems to have taken the pressure off. There’s only so long I can replace sleep with food and nervous energy.”

“Do you want to crash here?”

“Stars no! I’d never be able to take the noise. No, my own place will do just fine.”

“If you insist.” Amaranth stood and offered her a hand up. “I’ll walk you home.”

Cassandra accepted the hand and rose creakily to her feet. “Nah, I’ll be fine.”

“Now it’s my turn to insist. It’s really no trouble.”

“You know, I don’t even have the energy to argue anymore.” She sluggishly took her coat from the hook and slipped it on. With a crooked smile she offered her arm. “Take me away shining knight.”

Amaranth donned a long coat and walked over to her friend. She leaned down, took her cheeks in hand and kissed her gently on the forehead. The skin tingled where she touched. Heat and vigor flushed Cassandra’s cheeks.

Cassandra giggled and leaned into the tall redhead. “I forgot you could do that.”

Amaranth set her back on her feet and smiled. “Easy there, lightweight. Just a touch to get us home.”

“Yes doctor,” her voice dripped languidly.

“Oh lord, I’ve done drugged the woman. Come along, I bet the rain will sober you up.” Amaranth easily navigated her down the stairs and into the street. Once outside the downpour was fierce and pervasive. There was nothing to see, hear, feel, or even taste beside it. It was like being underwater. “Wow this is going to suck.” Cassandra giggled euphorically to which Amaranth responded with a good natured sigh. “Come on you, let’s get moving.”

The normally short walk seemed to take forever in the oppressive weather. Eventually Cassandra’s building loomed out of the darkness. The two women took shelter on the stoop. “Do you want me to come up?”

“No thank you.” Amaranth’s little booster had faded and Cassandra felt even wearier than before. “And no more of that magic touch business. I don’t like it when my mind is foggy.”

“Are you sure you can make it?”

Cassandra gave her a light punch to the shoulder. “Please, I’m tough stuff. Go on, get out of here before the city is submerged. Don’t forget to call Alexandra and Midori. I’ll work on Grey, see if he can give me an angle on Dayth and Valentine.”

“But first you’ll sleep.”

“Yes. Like I said, whatever was driving me before is gone, I’m very ready for bed time.”

Amaranth hugged her. “Rest well. Give me a call when you wake up.”

“Will do. Talk to you soon.” Amaranth vanished into the downpour. Cassandra fumbled with her keys and finally opened the door with a creak. It felt good to be home.

No comments: